Frequently Asked Questions – Local Weddings

Prior to your wedding day…

  1.  How far in advance can the Sanctuary, Atherton Chapel, or Atherton Courtyard be reserved for a wedding?

Our wedding venues may be reserved up to 18 – 24 months in advance, when accompanied by a deposit.  Due to the popularity of our venues we encourage you to submit your application as early as possible.

  1. Will we need a State of Hawaii marriage license?

Yes, unless you already have proof of legal marriage, you will need a marriage license from the State of Hawaii.

  1. Where can we obtain a state marriage license?

Please click here for detailed information.

  1. When are we required to remit payment for the ceremony?

A Final Payment Letter will be e-mailed to you 4-6 weeks prior to your wedding at which time your full payment will be due.

  1. How should we remit payment for the ceremony?

Your deposit and/or final payment may be made online by clicking here.

You may also pay by check, made out to Central Union Church and mailed to:

Attn: Accounting Department

Central Union Church

1660 S. Beretania Street

Honolulu, HI 96822

If paying by check, please be sure to write the date and venue for your wedding in the memo section for easy identification.

  1. As a member of another church, may I have my own minister participate in the ceremony?

Possibly. A guest clergy form must be completed and be approved by our Senior Minister. A guest minister may assist during the wedding, but our Central Union Church minister will officiate.

  1. May we have our own organist and soloist provide the music for our wedding?

Organist:  No. The church will provide a professional organist for your wedding.

Soloist:  Perhaps. The church can provide a professional soloist, if requested. Any guest soloist must be auditioned by our director of music and obtain her approval regarding the selections to be sung. If a rehearsal is necessary, there may be an extra fee required.

  1.  Does the church have wedding coordinators?

Yes. A wedding coordinator will be assigned to you for your wedding.

  1.  Do you require pre-marital counseling?

Yes. The minister assigned will contact you to schedule a counseling session prior to your wedding.

Right before your wedding…

  1. May we bring in our own decorations?

Atherton Chapel: Flower arrangements may be used as communion table decorations and may be taken home after the wedding.  Floral arrangements should not obstruct the pewter cross on the communion table.

Main Sanctuary: The Church Flower Committee changes the arrangement weekly. Brides may request particular colors for that arrangement, but no guarantees can be made that the committee will be able to accommodate the request.