Charter of Nominations and Governance
I. Power and Authority - The Committee has the power, duties and authority to act on behalf of the Council with respect to the Nominations and Governance Committee Charter adopted by the Council and pursuant to Section 6.3 (E) of the bylaws.
II. Duties and Responsibilities -
The committee shall be responsible for the following:
1. Nominate candidates for Officers of the Church and Membership on the Council; nominate members of search committees and special advisory committees as requested by the Council Chair from time to time.
2. Address conflicts of interest;
3. Recommend to the Council the auditor of the Church’s financial records;
4. Periodically review and make recommendation to the Council regarding the Church’s Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Committee and Ministry Charters, meeting procedures and other policies governing operation of the council;
5. Nominations and Governance Committee shall solicit the input of the various Officers, Council Committees, Working Ministries and church staff in the process of nominating individuals to serve as Officers or Council Members of the Church, other than nominations for Chair of the Deacons and Deaconesses who will be nominated by the Deacons and Deaconesses, respectively.
III. Operations -
1. The membership shall consist of five (5) Council Members who may be Designated Council Members or At Large Council Members.
2. The Committee shall meet monthly at a time and place agreed upon by Its members. The Chairperson will be designated by the Chairperson of the Council, but if not so designated, then shall be elected by the members of the committee. The committee may meet at such times as may be called by its Chair in consultation with its Members. Special meetings must be called for at least one week prior to the special meeting and only the business indicated in the call for special meeting can be considered. A quorum shall consist of three (3) Members, and decisions will be made by majority vote with the Chair casting the deciding vote In case of a tie. The Chair of the Council and the Senior Minister shall be non-voting members of the Committee. Other Staff and Church Members may attend meetings on invitation, but may not participate unless recognized by the Chair of Committee, and shall not be present for discussion of candidates for nomination. The Committee may go into Executive Session and non-committee members and ministerial or staff members may be asked to leave the meeting when sensitive matters are discussed.
3. Given the nature of the subject matter which may come before it the Committee shall provide for and protect the confidentiality of its operations.